Finishing is not my friend
Everyone knows the feeling of knitting that last row - the culmination of all the building anticipation to be finished with a project, it's thrilling! Except it's really not, sometimes it feels more like a burden. Now, the real fun starts, weaving in ends, blocking, felting, adding embelishments, all the extras that for whatever reason seem to take me forever!! I have 3 projects at the cusp of being done...I just need to do all those little things.
Bub's Bunny
I worked so hard to finish knitting Bub's Bunny (Fiber Trends bunny pattern) and it knit up amazingly fast. Sewing the pieces together was bad, but there's been worse. Felting was fun, watching malabrigo get nice and thick and firm, exactly what I wanted. But the last few days have been so slow. First was the placement and stitching of the nose, not so easy when the nose is as far away from the stuffing slot as possible on a very firmly felted bunny! Second was the eye debacle. No buttons or glue ons for a baby's bunny. So we went with large black french knots on small white felt circles, to be glued, then sewed on. I didn't have any white felt, so that was another day waiting. Then I didn't have any fabric glue, another day waiting. The poor bunny, sitting on the table with only a nose and a hole in his bum!
But as of last night, the eyes are glued on (needs to set for 24 hours) and the super fluffy tail has been sewn on and glued for sturdiness. Yay!! Tonight the bunny gets stuffed and sewed up and then he's done!!! Can't wait to post pictures.
Bub's Sheep Blanket
This has been finished for weeks, except for the fuzzy little sheep that are attached to it. 7 white, 1 black. They all needed french knots for eyes, and 5 - 3 stitch chain stiched pieces, 1 ear and 4 legs. This is what slowed me down. Very slow going, crocheting those 3 stitches, then sewing them on in the perfect position. Now the sheep need to be sewn onto the blanket, but how!?! I don't want to see the yarn I sew them on with, which rules out purple thread (to match the blanket) because then the sheep will have purple stitches on them. Using white (or black depending on which sheep) will show up on the blanket. I did get clear sewing thread, but I wonder about the strength of it. I mean, this is a baby's blanket, we need something that will hold up!
Socks
One is done, ends weaved in and everything!! The other is awaiting 2 ribbed rows and a cast off! Problem with these is I knit them on 2 circs, at the same time. Well, I wanted the cuff to be snug and stay up, so I went from a size 2 needle to a 0 for the last 2 ribbing rows and cast off. I only have one size 0. So I was shifting and moving stitches for quite a while! But tonight I will tackle that last sock. I can't wait until they are *completely* finished. Bear calls them the two year project, it hasn't been two years...maybe one though!
Hopefully the next post will have lots of pictures of finished projects!
Bub's Bunny
I worked so hard to finish knitting Bub's Bunny (Fiber Trends bunny pattern) and it knit up amazingly fast. Sewing the pieces together was bad, but there's been worse. Felting was fun, watching malabrigo get nice and thick and firm, exactly what I wanted. But the last few days have been so slow. First was the placement and stitching of the nose, not so easy when the nose is as far away from the stuffing slot as possible on a very firmly felted bunny! Second was the eye debacle. No buttons or glue ons for a baby's bunny. So we went with large black french knots on small white felt circles, to be glued, then sewed on. I didn't have any white felt, so that was another day waiting. Then I didn't have any fabric glue, another day waiting. The poor bunny, sitting on the table with only a nose and a hole in his bum!
But as of last night, the eyes are glued on (needs to set for 24 hours) and the super fluffy tail has been sewn on and glued for sturdiness. Yay!! Tonight the bunny gets stuffed and sewed up and then he's done!!! Can't wait to post pictures.
Bub's Sheep Blanket
This has been finished for weeks, except for the fuzzy little sheep that are attached to it. 7 white, 1 black. They all needed french knots for eyes, and 5 - 3 stitch chain stiched pieces, 1 ear and 4 legs. This is what slowed me down. Very slow going, crocheting those 3 stitches, then sewing them on in the perfect position. Now the sheep need to be sewn onto the blanket, but how!?! I don't want to see the yarn I sew them on with, which rules out purple thread (to match the blanket) because then the sheep will have purple stitches on them. Using white (or black depending on which sheep) will show up on the blanket. I did get clear sewing thread, but I wonder about the strength of it. I mean, this is a baby's blanket, we need something that will hold up!
Socks
One is done, ends weaved in and everything!! The other is awaiting 2 ribbed rows and a cast off! Problem with these is I knit them on 2 circs, at the same time. Well, I wanted the cuff to be snug and stay up, so I went from a size 2 needle to a 0 for the last 2 ribbing rows and cast off. I only have one size 0. So I was shifting and moving stitches for quite a while! But tonight I will tackle that last sock. I can't wait until they are *completely* finished. Bear calls them the two year project, it hasn't been two years...maybe one though!
Hopefully the next post will have lots of pictures of finished projects!

















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home